Software-defined WAN (SD-WAN) solutions enable network managers to simplify the branch office by introducing a central policy manager and replacing complex routing with easily configurable path forwarding.-Bjarne Munch, “Virtualization and SD-WAN Enable Branch Office WAN Simplification,” Gartner, May 2015
Brand management for any retailer is an art. When part of a larger retail group, brands necessarily must compete and cooperate. Within this parent company, each brand is following an aggressive growth plan, including rapidly opening new branch stores. Each brand can make its own IT decisions, while the parent company empowers them with state-of-the-art standardized solutions. Connectivity for more than 4000 highly distributed sites involves a mix of MPLS and Internet technologies and is provided through the same service provider.
Pursuing a Cloud-First strategy, brands are encouraged to use more SaaS applications. For both performance and costs reasons, SaaS applications are delivered to branch users through local Internet breakouts. Management of those local Internet breakouts is operationally challenging. The pressing challenge: simplify branch connectivity, especially those with Internet breakouts, and provision sites faster.
SteelConnect SD-WAN with its capability to fully control, at the app level, the 3 paths of a hybrid network: MPLS, Internet backhaul through IPSec and direct Internet breakout
SteelConnect Value Add
- Path Selection done on layer 7 criteria (domain names) for all paths including local Internet breakouts
- AutoVPN multi-mesh VPN connectivity to simplify management of IPSec backhaul and implement seamless overlays across branch, datacenter and cloud locations
- Centralized and global application-centric policy management to ensure consistent service across all sites
- Zero-Touch Provisioning, reducing configuration and reconfiguration of edge devices at sites to zero with automation
- Cloud-based management with SteelConnect Manager
- Easy service chaining with third-party services such as web security from zScaler
“Riverbed SteelConnect’s application-defined approach to networking, as well as the company’s expertise in WAN optimization, especially in the areas of network and application visibility allows SteelConnect to address challenges associated with ensuring agile and secure application delivery across the broadening parameters of the hybrid enterprise.”
- Hugh Ujhazy, “Digital Transformation Readiness in APJ: Harnessing the Agile Wide Area Network,” IDC, July 2016