Steer Your Apps Down the Best Path
Part three of a nine-part series of use cases for SteelConnect
Today’s networks are becoming increasingly complex, costly and fragile. Large teams of specialized IT are needed, and the time required to change network configurations can result in a loss of business opportunity and revenue.
Device configuration with CLI is difficult and often results in downtime due to human error and misconfigurations. Re-configuration based on changing business needs or network health is not easy or quick using CLI or network-centric routing.
In addition, Internet transport that IT does not control and the modern encrypted app can result in a lack of visibility and control. Direct Internet access at multiple remote sites also bypasses data center security services.
The result for IT: complexity that is hard to manage.
Path control—making sure the application and data use the most available and best path possible (Internet or MPLS) to reach the user securely and quickly—is essential in this changing environment. An intelligent approach is needed that dynamically and automatically routes traffic based on intent-based policy and network health.
SteelConnect, a Riverbed SD-WAN solution, leverages a single global policy to automate configuration of any network and deliver performance and security for applications, users and locations even when network conditions or traffic trends change. The user/operator is responsible only for identifying global policy for performance management, based on business goals. Everything else is automated based on that intent-based policy.
In addition, the solution comes with application intelligence—an application pattern database that identifies and classifies hundreds of web-based apps accurately, reliably and fast. The database is used for policy rules, the steering of applications and metrics-based reporting. And users can set up the policy rules, app priority (QoS) and the networks to be used (path selection) in a single unified view within a cloud-based SteelConnect Manager.
Thus, SteelConnect helps enable IT to manage automatically—within a GUI-based SteelConnect Manager:
- Identifies, prioritizes and steers apps on the network
- Groups and prioritizes apps based on their importance to the business
- Allows the operator to create a single global policy to control apps or app groups
- Automates device configuration based on policy
- Automatically derives all possible path possibilities based on availability
- Selects the best path for the application based on real-time path availability and service quality
- Secures traffic across private and Internet links.
SteelConnect removes management complexity for IT with a simple but unparalleled design, workflow and automation.
Leverage SteelConnect now for:
- Ubiquitous and unified connectivity: SteelConnect provides a software-defined and application-defined connectivity fabric that spans WANs, remote office LANs and cloud infrastructure networks
- Business-aligned orchestration: SteelConnect bridges the performance gap between business needs and IT capabilities with meaningful visualization of networks and plain-language policies that drive zero-touch provisioning and easy change management.
- Cloud-centric workflow: Design first, then deploy. SteelConnect enables network architects to first virtually design their environments and networks before deploying a single, self-programming piece of hardware to any remote location.