Monitoring SAP from the End User’s Perspective – Easier Said than Done
The multiple layers of interdependent proprietary layers in the SAP environment complicate troubleshooting SAP application issues. Monitoring SAP to capture the end user’s perspective is easier said than done. With Riverbed SteelCentral Aternity, IT teams can ensure an excellent end user experience for SAP.
Enterprises rely on SAP Solution Manager Diagnostics (SMD), Computing Center Management System (CCMS), System Guard for SAP®, or third-party SAP monitoring tools for checking the availability and response time of the data center components and cloud infrastructure supporting SAP. But IT requires additional SAP monitoring capabilities to understand the actual end user experience of the workforce as they use SAP business applications in the course of their jobs.
Change management in SAP is complex. Whether it is transitioning SAP from ECC to S/4HANA, or upgrading to the latest enhancement pack of SAP ERP or version of SAP Fiori. SAP monitoring tools should provide IT visibility into end user experience to ensure these changes actually result in better service. After all, what counts is the user experience your finance, manufacturing, sales, or support employees see when they conduct SAP transactions.
Monitoring SAP with Riverbed End User Experience Monitoring
Riverbed SteelCentral Aternity augments the SAP monitoring capabilities available from SAP itself and third-party vendors. It automatically monitors and correlates together the three streams of data that constitute true user experience. These are user productivity, device health and performance, and application performance.
Domain-specific IT management products monitor performance and availability of a portion of the IT infrastructure. But SteelCentral Aternity monitors the end user experience of SAP, and every other business critical application, from the perspective of the end user’s device. With SteelCentral, you can address a broad set of IT Service Management challenges for the entire IT organization and the line of business.
Troubleshooting SAP business applications from the user’s perspective
SteelCentral augments SAP monitoring products, like SMD, CCMS, or System Guard, by monitoring the “click to render” time of the major steps within SAP Transaction Code processes. It notifies IT operations when response time exceeds automatically generated baselines or manually established thresholds. With SteelCentral Aternity, you get the following capabilities for troubleshooting SAP.
- Generate proactive alerts to 3rdparty systems, like ServiceNow when performance deviates from expected levels.
- Develop automated remediation actions to resolve common issues, reduce trouble ticket volume, and improve customer service.
- Isolate the likely cause of end user problems by analyzing the characteristics shared by affected users, then drill down into the details of the application or device to investigate issues.
- Drill-down to other components of the SteelCentral Digital Experience Management platform to investigate problems in application transactions or end the “network blame game” with a single click.
The dashboard below shows how you can isolate the likely cause of end user problems by analyzing the characteristics shared by affected users. Then you can drill down into the details of the application or device to investigate issues.
Monitor the end user experience of any local, cloud, or enterprise mobile app
SteelCentral enables End User Services teams to troubleshoot end user issues quickly by correlating application performance and health (including key steps within an SAP Transaction Code process), as seen by the end user, to the performance and health of the user’s device. End User Services teams can use SteelCentral for troubleshooting and monitoring SAP in the following ways.
- Validate user complaints automatically. No need for excessive user interrogation or stopwatch timing.
- Troubleshoot in real-time and historically, non-invasively, without impacting the user’s productivity.
- Isolate problems to the user’s device, the network, or the backend to reduce finger-pointing.
- Resolve issues quickly by drilling into device details to pinpoint device components causing the problem.
Validate the impact of IT change on workforce productivity and customer service
With SteelCentral, business and IT executives can measure the impact on end user experience of strategic IT projects, like cloud, mobility, and data center transformation. They can do the same for more routine, tactical changes like upgrading to the latest version of SAP ERP and Fiori or making changes to the S/4HANA backend.
- Validate the impact of change by analyzing end user experience before and after a change to infrastructure, applications, or devices, to ensure the desired results are achieved.
- Quantify the financial impact of app performance on workforce productivity by analyzing every transaction made on business critical apps, including key steps within SAP Transaction Code processes.
- Determine where investment is needed most by analyzing Transaction Code process step performance relative to SLAs, by department or geography.
- Analyze trends in app adoption across the enterprise to track the effectiveness of key strategic initiatives like cloud, mobile, and virtualization.
Start monitoring SAP today
SteelCentral Aternity helps you ensure the reliability of SAP and every other business-critical application, running on mobile, virtual, and physical devices. With SteelCentral, you have options for monitoring SAP. In addition to on-premises deployment, SteelCentral Aternity can be run in the cloud, enabling customers to get up and running fast, with no major capital investment, hardware provisioning, or server deployment.