Bajaj Electricals, a leading Indian consumer electrical equipment manufacturing company, has embarked on a digital transformation journey to improve user experience and engagement for customers, distributors and employees. The company is using the Riverbed Digital Performance platform to accelerate application performance, dramatically improve end-user experience and better assess the impact of future IT change on performance, including a major shift to the cloud.
- Rapid introduction of new digital technologies and a shift to the cloud placing strain on existing legacy infrastructure
- Performance issues with business-critical applications causing a spike in end-user complaints
- Inability to trouble-shoot IT issues resulting in prolonged downtime, threatening early transformation gains
- SteelCentral AppResponse
- SteelCentral Aternity
- SteelHead SaaS
- SteelHead Mobile
- Holistic visibility across networks, applications and end-user experience speeds troubleshooting, eliminates down-time
- Accelerated performance of several business-critical apps - including O365 - by up to 70%, boosting employee productivity and satisfaction
- Modern IT architecture enables digital transformation, empowers IT team to deliver tangible outcomes for the business
A household name in India, Bajaj Electricals’ business spans lighting, consumer durables like home appliances and fans, engineering and other projects such as wind and solar energy. The company has played a key role in the Government of India’s rural electrification efforts and is a pioneer in providing turnkey lighting solutions for the development of smart cities in India.
Bajaj Electricals operates 19 offices across the country and manages a chain of thousands of distributors and authorized dealers, over 400,000 retail outlets and more than 450 customer care centers.
In the wake of industry disruption and increased competition, Bajaj Electricals embarked on an ambitious digital transformation journey in 2015 to drive deeper engagement with its end-consumers, most of whom purchase the company’s products through third-parties and have limited direct exposure to the company. As Bajaj Electricals focused on digital technology as a critical enabler of their business, the pressure on IT grew - more complexity, higher business demands, and less tolerance for down-time and degradation.
The company began by automating key business processes, rapidly adopting new digital technologies and moving more and more apps to the cloud – and they were doing this often times in remote parts of India, where communications infrastructure is poor. Their existing infrastructure couldn’t support all this change, and the performance of several of their business-critical apps began to suffer, resulting in a significant spike in user complaints.
Additionally, lack of visibility into the company’s IT environment made troubleshooting like finding a needle in a haystack. The IT team couldn’t resolve issues quickly, which prolonged downtime, threatening their bottom line as well as early digital transformation gains.
In order to address these challenges, Bajaj Electricals deployed a powerful combination of Riverbed Digital Performance solutions to transform IT into a competitive differentiator including:
- Riverbed SteelCentral AppResponse for visibility into application performance issues, combining advanced application and transaction insight, comprehensive end-user experience monitoring, and deep network intelligence. As a result, the speed of Bajaj Electricals’ IT team to respond to end-user application issues has increased dramatically, eliminating downtime and accelerating the performance of business-critical apps by up to 70% in some examples.
- Riverbed SteelCentral Aternity extends this visibility further into the actual end user experience of any local, cloud, or mobile app running on any device. Bajaj Electricals deployed Aternity to investigate and resolve a major performance issue with a custom-developed mobile app used by their field technicians to track and manage customer repair jobs. The issue had stalled user adoption of the app altogether, negatively affecting goals for improving workforce productivity and customer service. Aternity helped them isolate and resolve the problem, boosting end user satisfaction and putting adoption back on track.
- Riverbed SteelHead is the industry’s #1 WAN optimization solution, for the acceleration of application performance on and off the cloud and for remote and mobile workers. With this, Bajaj Electricals has been able to accelerate the delivery of Microsoft Office 365 by 33x, addressing significant performance issues and paving the way to move more and more apps to the cloud.
Today, Riverbed solutions form backbone of the company’s modern IT architecture, delivering deep end-user experience insights and increased business agility through improved digital performance.
We’ve been totally impressed with the performance we’ve been able to deliver using the Riverbed platform. It’s been a powerful enabler of our digital transformation strategy, empowering me and my team to deliver tangible outcomes for the business,” said Gharge. “In an industry where competition is stiff – and being at the forefront is critical – this is everything