New! Get Your ‘Essential Guide to Cloud Networking with SD-WAN’
Riverbed's information-packed new e-book, The Essential Guide to Cloud Networking with SD-WAN, explains how the benefits of software-defined networking make it a perfect technology for the cloud age. It’s a timely resource, since many companies are aggressively pursuing a cloud strategy.
You can register for free to download the entire book and get all the details. But for now, let's look at some high points.
The challenges of cloud-connected networks
The traditional networking approach often comes up short with the Cloud, especially in terms of management and app performance.
In the e-book, you'll learn:
- Five reasons why IT organizations struggle with cloud connectivity
- How SD-WAN greatly simplifies the design, deployment, and management of cloud-connected networks compared to traditional methods
- Three ways to overcome poor network- and cloud-application performance with SD-WAN
- How integrated monitoring tools can be used to assure ongoing performance of cloud-based applications
How to simplify network connectivity
SD-WAN makes the deployment and management of networks simpler. As Figure 1 demonstrates, SD-WAN is managed from a single, central console with an intuitive, graphical UI instead of separate command-line interfaces for every network device.
Figure 1. This screen provides a quick look at the operational status of all WAN connections between sites
In the e-book, you'll also learn how an SD-WAN can automate simple tasks and orchestrate the complicated workflows needed to deploy cloud-connected networks.
Methods for improving performance
Learn the three ways that SD-WAN can improve the end-user's experience when working with cloud-based apps:
- By identifying network traffic by application, user, or the source/destination and prioritizing it as appropriate (see Figure 2 below)
- By steering traffic around last-mile congestion on connections to the cloud
- By working in tandem with WAN optimization
Figure 2. Business-aligned policies can be defined to govern the performance of applications, users, and locations
The e-book goes into more details on how the magic happens, and offers some use cases for WAN optimization.
Monitoring to assure performance
To provide end-to-end visibility — from users, across the network, and into the cloud — and assure application performance, you need an integrated stack of monitoring tools:
- End-user experience monitoring (EUEM)
- Application performance management (APM)
- Network performance management (NPM)
- Infrastructure management (IM)
All of these tools are available from Riverbed, and the free e-book has the details of how each can help your networks thrive.
Starting your SD-WAN journey
Ready to begin a move to SD-WAN? The Essential Guide to Cloud Networking with SD-WAN has everything you need to get started, including a link to a free trial version of Riverbed's SD-WAN offerings. If you need resources to help you convince decision makers in your enterprise, the e-book also provides: