Citrix Virtual App and Virtual Desktop application virtualization technology enables Microsoft Windows applications to be virtualized, centralized, and delivered to users as a service. It is a prevalent enterprise data center technology for delivering applications due its ability to:
- Vastly reduce administration costs
- Make more efficient use of IT resources
- Improve the performance of enterprise applications delivered over wide area networks (WAN) and mobile network
While powerful and beneficial, the Citrix environment can present a few new challenges when it comes to troubleshooting application performance issues. Citrix Virtual App and Virtual Desktop are two of the most performance sensitive applications in the enterprise. Poor performance results in screen freezes, slow logins, slow application launches, keystroke lags, session disconnects, and more. Since a Citrix farm supports hundreds of users, a slowdown often impacts them all. Thus, poor Citrix performance can have a significant business impact.
Because Citrix acts as a proxy for backend applications, it can be difficult to get end-to end visibility of transactions and to identify and troubleshoot end-user experience problems. Without the right troubleshooting tools, a user’s unique transactions to the backend application components are lost in the crowd of all transactions. While it is relatively easy to see the aggregate load of the users as a group, it is difficult to isolate individual users and investigate their individual transactions.
Citrix troubleshooting tools
To do effective troubleshooting in the Virtual App and Virtual Desktop environment, you need to see into the individual end-user session end-to-end, through to the Citrix server tier. By examining packet-level data from both sides of the Citrix Server as well as leveraging session mapping information, you can extract and present response time and performance details for all individual end-user sessions. This strategy will show the location of performance-impacting issues, whether they arise in the distribution network, the Citrix server, the datacenter network, or the application tier behind Citrix.
Accelerate Citrix Performance
Sometimes Citrix apps are slow are there is no actual issue. It’s a matter of latency and bandwidth. Riverbed SteelHead WAN optimization improves the performance of thin-client application, accelerating response times and reducing bandwidth requirements for applications running over Citrix ICA. Riverbed Steelhead reduces data up to 99% and helps application perform up to 33x faster.
Benefits of Citrix Troubleshooting
Use Riverbed AppResponse Citrix Analysis to:
- Accelerate Citrix troubleshooting by rapidly pinpointing the root causes of Virtual App and Virtual Desktop problems
- In a glance, understand if the problem resides with the front-end user session or the back-end server activity
- Understand end user experience for Citrix-hosted applications
- Quickly correlate front-end user sessions to back-end server activities on a single screen with front-end round-trip time (RTT), back-end response time composition chart, Citrix processes, back-end apps, back-end servers and ports, front-end and back-end TCP connections.