We have finally become proactive in dealing with network capacity and performance issues, since we started using NetPlanner.— IT manager, pharmaceutical company
What is network planning?
With the addition of new devices, multiple application delivery methods, and higher bandwidth communication methods, networks are becoming increasingly complex. At the same time, they are vital: carrying the information that, literally, is the business. Companies need to ensure that the network is robust and stable, that it is capable of surviving node failures, and that technology rollouts improve performance rather than cause problems.
Features and benefits of SteelCentral NetPlanner for Network Planning
SteelCentral NetPlanner helps carriers, ISPs, government agencies, and enterprises facilitate service and technology deployments. The solution helps mitigate risks associated with network deployments by aiding evaluation of network architectures and technology migration plans. Companies are to better able plan for network capacity, survivability, and manage network traffic.
The solution’s ability to model network behavior and the supported applications:
- Automates capacity planning, survivability analysis, and traffic engineering workflows combined with comprehensive, business-relevant reporting
- Supports network planning for traffic trends, technology rollouts and key initiatives such as data center migration, deployment of Unified Communications, VPN, and IPv6 migration
- Supports planning for traffic trends, technology rollouts and key initiatives such as data center migration, deployment of Unified Communications, VPN, and IPv6 migration
- Improve network survivability by predicting the impact of node, link, or shared risk group failures and network planning protection strategies
CarrierPlanner module for SteelCentral NetPlanner
The CarrierPlanner module enables network planner to understand and analyze network technologies used in service provider-grade networks.
- Planning and design for networks with MPLS, Intermediate System to Intermediate System (IS-IS) and Metro Ethernet configurations
- Planning and design using network information stored in the Alcatel-Lucent 5650 Control Plane manager (CPAM) server
- Enables the BGP Peering Center
NetMapper module for SteelCentral NetPlanner
The NetMapper module is used to generate physical and logical diagrams for the planning workflows.
- Generate physical Layer 2 and Layer 3 network diagrams
- Generate logical diagrams such as OSPF, BGP, VLAN, etc.
- Generate MPLS and IS-IS diagrams [requires CarrierPlanner module]
- Create diagrams in HTML and Visio formats
- Highlight network differences in diagrams
OpticalPlanner module for SteelCentral NetPlanner
The OpticalPlanner module allows the design and analysis of DWDM, OTN, and SONET/SDH optical networks.
- Integrates seamlessly with NetPlanner enabling multi-layer planning and analysis capabilities
- Integrates packet and transport network planning
- Reduce cost by cross-layer capacity optimization
- Design an optimal transport network to support IP/MPLS services
- Perform multi-layer survivability planning
- Generate SRGs based on knowledge of the underlying transport connections
- More accurately predict delay in the L2/3 network
We chose Riverbed because it enables us to identify the causes of problems in the network and in the various systems involved in the most efficient way.- Andreas Mayer, Network Administrator, Würth
"[Riverbed SteelCentral NetPlanner] avoided the downtime of our critical applications by designing the network with resiliency to outages." - Senior Network Architect, Financial Services Company
"We have finally become proactive in dealing with network capacity and performance issues, since we started using Network Planner." - IT Manager, Pharmaceutical Company
"The use of [Riverbed] across our radio, core and IP networks gives us the ability to model all facets of end-to-end customer experience with a single tool. Optimizing customer experience is the priority for the business, and the use of a single tool minimizes the investment in time and money required to
achieve this." - Forecasting and Capacity Planning Manager, Global Service Provider
"Multi-layer network optimization is important to reduce transport cost, increase network reliability, perform network dimensioning, and generate shared risk groups. These are traditionally hard problems to solve, but using [OpticalPlanner Module for SteelCentral NetPlanner] makes multi-layer optimization possible. I have been using Riverbed’s products for many years and [NetPlanner] is the best product out there." - Principal Network Architect, North American MSO
Avaya is a global provider of business collaboration and communications solutions, providing unified communications, contact centers, networking and related services to companies of all sizes.