Riverbed provides its software for free to qualifying universities worldwide for academic research and teaching. Over 25,000 university professors and students use Riverbed’s products in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Management Information Systems, and related disciplines.
The Riverbed Modeler University Program offers:
- Full Model Library: Popular protocol and vendor device models are available, including specialized models such as IPv6, LTE, UMTS, MPLS, and WiMAX.
- Advanced Modeling and Simulation: Discrete event simulation, analytic modeling, and hybrid technologies provide high fidelity, scalable simulations.
- Targeted offering for Research groups within universities (explained in sections below).
- Maintenance: Discounted maintenance is mandatory on all licenses and is offered to enable access to Riverbed technical support and training.
- Access to on-line user-community: Share ideas, initiatives, and success and ask questions to a large peer user community.
University Research & Teaching Program
Riverbed Modeler and its modules model communication devices, protocols, technologies, and architectures, and simulate their performance in a dynamic virtual network environment. Integrated code debugging and data analysis features facilitate the design process. Riverbed’s products enable a broad range of academic research such as:
- Evaluating and enhancing wireless protocols such as LTE, WiMAX, and 802.11.
- Studying new power management schemes for sensor networks.
- Researching new enhancements to core network technologies such as IPv6 and MPLS.
- Analyzing optical network designs.
The purchase of maintenance is mandatory on all the modules offered through this Program and thus participants will have access to the on-site or web-based trainings offered by Riverbed.
Riverbed encourages research of new technologies and understands the importance of the academic community in this effort. Riverbed provides a platform to showcase your breakthrough research at the company’s annual conference in Washington, D.C.
Join the Riverbed Modeler University Splash Community.
Modeler Academic Edition
Modeler Academic Edition software is created for introductory level networking courses. This software incorporates tools for all phases of a study, including model design, simulation, data collection, and data analysis.
- Based on Modeler version 17.5 PL6
- Downloadable from our website at no charge
- Built-in Wireless capability
- Specially designed lab manuals
- 6-month renewable license
- Community support for our users
New Users: Register and Download here
Existing Users: Login here
Community Support: Register here
- Modeler Wireless Suite
- Flow Analysis Module
- IPV6 for R&D Specialized Model
- MPLS Specialized Model
- UMTS Specialized Model
- LTE Specialized Model
- System-in-the-Loop Module
- 802.16 Specialized Model
- Shared Code Module
- NetDoctor Module
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How long does it take for the application to get approved?
A1. It usually takes five business days for the application to get approved once we receive all the required information from the online application form.
Q2. Can I install the licenses on my personal machine?
A2. No. The licenses can only be installed in the university owned machines or labs.
Q3. How do I renew my licenses?
A3. In order to renew your licenses, you would need to upload your lab manuals/research papers and models on our Splash site.
Q4. How do I make the payment if I want to purchase maintenance on my research licenses?
A4. You can either pay us by credit card, check or wire transfer the amount. We will provide you with more details once your application is approved.
Q5. Does my university qualify to be a part of University Program?
A5. Please fill out the application form. We will process the application within five business days and apprise you as needed.
Q6. Who needs to fill out the online application form – Student/ Professor?
A6. Any one can fill out the online application form. However, any student filling out the online application form must provide us with complete details about their professor.
Q7. Do all users have access to Riverbed Technical Support?
A7. University Research Program license holders with active maintenance contracts can contact Riverbed Technical Support. Additionally, the online user community on splash.riverbed.com is a useful medium for technical discussions for research and teaching applications of Modeler.
Q8. How do I contact technical support?
A8. Please check support.riverbed.com for contact details.
Q9. Does Riverbed help train students and professors to use Riverbed products?
A9. Yes, customers with active maintenance contracts can attend on-site or web-based trainings. They can also access past year’s conference proceedings at their convenience.